YOU MUST BE BORN AGAIN
Why does the Bible say, "Ye must be born again"? John 3:3 Let's explore the scriptures for our answer. Jesus was speaking to a Pharisee, a ruler of the Jews named Nicodemus. He was a religious man familiar with the law and Old Testament. He came in secret to talk to Jesus, and acknowledged that Jesus had come from God. (John 3:1-2,10) "Jesus answered and said, Verily, Verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3 He was telling a religious man that he needed to be born again or he would not get into heaven! Religion alone won't get you into heaven. Jesus is telling us in order to be saved, we too, must be born again.
To understand this further, man was born into a world of sin, with a nature to sin. This was due to the fall of mankind when Adam sinned and Satan became the god of this world. Mankind was separated from God, because God cannot be present where there is sin. We were born with a separation between us and God. Religion cannot remove the separation. But God has provided a way for that separation to be removed.
What does it mean to be born again? Nicodemus asked the same question. "Niocodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee. Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:3-6. That tells us that there are two separate births. The first is a natural birth, the second is a spiritual birth. The spiritual birth is what removes the separation between us and God.
How is a spiritual rebirth possible? "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:14-17 This is the way God has provided for us. It is Jesus. His death on the cross provided a way for us to be united with God. Because of what Jesus did, the separation can be removed. We can have a relationship with God. This is no ordinary relationship. It includes "all spiritual blessings" Ephesians 1:3. It includes our salvation, health, peace and prosperity. It includes everything we need! "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him. . ." 2 Peter 1:3
What must I do to be born again?
1. Acknowledge that you are a sinner. "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23
2. Realize that you are lost and deserving of punishment for your sins. "For the wages of sin is death;" Romans 6:23a
3. Understand God's remedy. "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
"But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23b
4. Receive God's forgiveness. "That if thou shalt confess with the mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:9-10
5. Believe that because of Jesus' death on the cross and his resurrection you are saved. "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Romans 10:13
6. Forsake your sin. "Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." Isaiah 55:7
If you have not received Christ as your savior and would like to know for sure you will go to heaven when you die, simply pray this prayer:
Dear Lord, I confess that I am a sinner. I call upon your name. Forgive all my sins. I believe you died in my place. I accept you as my Lord and savior. I believe you rose from the dead according to the scriptures. I receive you into my life. I believe you do save me now. Thank you, Jesus for my salvation. Amen.
As a believer it is important for you to read your Bible and pray everyday to become a mature Christian. Find a church where you can have fellowship with other believers and grow spiritually. God bless you in your new life!